1888 in a thatched cottage in Wimborne Road, Winton,
Winton Church was born. In the October of the following
year the site opposite was bought for £139 and
two years later there stood the school-chapel, completed
grew and in 1896 came the first extensions. By 1905
a new church (pictured) was open.
this time, just a mile away, another site was for sale
for £250. This was purchased and open air meetings
were held - weather permitting! This being England,
albeit Bournemouth, a roof proved necessary and a small
committee was appointed to draw up a 'plan of development.'
it was in 1906, for £1,080, a corrugated iron
chapel was erected at the corner of Alma
Road and Heron Court Road. The Alma Road society
were safe in their "Tin Tabernacle." However,
in 1919 a leaders' meeting declared a double crisis
- the need for a new building and a permanent Minister.
1920 the first plans for the new building had appeared.
The stone laying ceremony was in May and in December
1927, after £7,390 had been spent, the new church
was dedicated and complete. So by the end of the 1920s
there were two Methodist Societies nearby each other
creating life, faith and interest in their surrounding
continued and it wasn't long before the community set
up a daughter society, with an open-air band, in Ensbury
1930 the trustees of the Winton church decided to buy
an organ which had been offered to them by Mr John Walton
of Branksome Park, for £600. This decision meant
a lot of heartsearching as this was a considerable sum,
especially as they had to find another £300 to
remove and rebuild it. However, the money was raised
and they were in possession of a very fine 3 manual
J.J. Binns organ. This courageous decision so many years
ago enables us now in today's Winton Methodist Church
to still possess a very fine organ. Parts of this original
instrument remain today, renovated and installed in
the Alma Road building.
Avenue church extended its services to become more of
a community centre to its area. Tennis and badminton
clubs were organised and the "Avenue Belles"
were formed. The "Belles" were to become the
"Avenue Players," famous for their Easter
plays and later began touring Bournemouth and Dorset
with their productions.
WW2 plans were made at the Avenue to replace the "Tin
Tabernacle" and by 1958 the small hall section
had given way to modern schoolrooms, a kitchen and an
extended Vestry linking the buildings together.
1967, the Golden Jubilee of the Avenue church, the site
was cleared after the demolition of the "Tin Tabernacle"
and plans were made for further future development.
in 1968 the two societies of Winton Church and the Avenue
joined together and the new Winton Methodist Church
was formed. With the proceeds from the sale of the site
in Wimborne Road we were able to build the 3-storey
community centre that stands on the corner of Alma Road
and Heron Court Road today.
News from 1969
"When our two societies
amalgamated last year, the trustees decided
that if at all possible it would be the wish
of everybody in the two churches to bring the
organ from Wimborne Road to our present church.
We were very fortunate that Mrs Ethel Rowley
desired to make a gift to the church in memory
of her mother and father and agreed that it
should go towards the rebuilding of our organ.
Messrs. Geo. Osmond & Co. of Taunton have
done this and incorporated into it some of the
best pipes from the old Avenue organ, together
with a new detatched console. The opening recital
to be given on July 25th by Dr. Eric Thiman
of London is an evening to which many of us
in the church have looked forward to and this
will be folllowed by monthly recitals by other
eminent organists on August , September 17th
and October 22nd. Full details of the organ
can be read in the Souvenir Organ Brochure,